Michael concentrates his practice in the representation of privately held companies and private investment funds in connection with a wide variety of complex transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt offerings, venture capital transactions, joint ventures and similar transactions.
Michael has substantial experience in representing clients in the following industries: manufacturing, retail, construction, outdoor advertising and medical marijuana.
Significant matters Michael has handled include:
- Mergers and Acquisitions. Represented the owners of Real Geeks, LLC in connection with sale to Fidelity National Financial
- Section 363 Transaction. Represented The Limited LLC, a retailer of women’s clothes, in connection with the $26.75 million sale of its intellectual property effectuated through a Chapter 11 Section 363 auction sale
- Commercial Finance. Represented real estate developer in connection with $72.5 million construction financing for 832 bed student housing project
- Venture Capital. Represented lead investor in $5 million Series D round investment in privately held company that develops electronics for cable television companies and related industries
Notre Dame Law School, J.D.
Fordham University, B.A., cum laude
Conference Co-Chair, M&A East Conference, Association for Corporate Growth (2017 and 2018)
Coach, Mid-Atlantic Venture Conference, Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies (PACT) (2004, 2005 and 2011)
Co-Chair, Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee, Philadelphia Bar Association (2012 – 2016)
Marketing Committee Member, Association for Corporate Growth (2014 – 2016)
Co-Chair, M&A East Sponsorship Committee (2015 – 2016)
News & Events
Mentioned, “Klehr Harrison Launches New Practice Aimed at Startups,” Law360, February 23, 2022
Mentioned, “‘We want to build a relationship’: Klehr Harrison launches new practice, special pricing plan for startups,” Philadelphia Business Journal, February 20, 2022
Presenter, ACG SIPS – Member Engagement Rooftop BBQ, Association for Corporate Growth, August 1, 2019
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented the owners of Elevator Doors Inc. and Elevator Cabs Inc. in connection with sale to a private investment firm.
- Represented Independent Outdoor III, LLC in connection with several transactions, including sale of billboard assets in eight states to Lamar Central Outdoor LLC.
- Represented national furniture rental company in connection with several acquisitions.
- Represented manufacturer and distributor of chimney related products in joint venture with Canadian-based stove manufacturer to manufacture and distribute products in Canada.
- Represented manufacturer and distributor of chimney related products in $22 million sale transaction to private equity fund.
- Represented mezzanine lender and minority equity investor in CDN $15 million acquisition of Canadian-based manufacturer and distributor of aluminum railing products.
- Represented investment advisor in connection with the acquisition of a family of investment funds from Neuberger Berman/Lehman Brothers.
- Represented vision care information company in connection with the sale of its assets for approximately $23 million to a Euronext Amsterdam listed company.
- Assisted in the representation of a NASDAQ National Market retailer of computer games, hardware and software in connection with its merger with a NYSE listed competitor in a transaction valued at over $1.6 billion.
- Represented privately-held pharmaceutical testing company in connection with the sale of its assets for $18 million to a NASDAQ National Market company.
- Represented a national steel fabricator in an $81 million cash-for-stock acquisition and financing of another steel fabricator, the combined entity of which is believed to be one of the five largest steel fabricators in the U.S.
Section 363 Transactions
- Represented Restaurants Unlimited, Inc., in connection with the $32.7 million sale to Landry’s LLC (Golden Nugget) effectuated through a Chapter 11 Section 363 sale.
- Represented Massif Mountain Gear Company, L.L.C., a designer, manufacturer and distributor of flame-resistant fabric and apparel for domestic and foreign military and civilian end users, in connection with the $10.2 million sale of substantially all of its assets effectuated through a Chapter 11 Section 363 auction sale.
- Represented Tactical Intermediate Holdings, Inc. in connection with the $6.9 million sale of substantially all of the assets of its combat boot division effectuated through a Chapter 11 Section 363 auction sale.
- Represented Edwin Watts Golf Shops, LLC, a retailer of golf-related equipment, apparel and accessories, in connection with the $40 million sale of substantially all of its assets effectuated through a Chapter 11 Section 363 auction sale.
- Represented Healthcare Uniform Company, Inc. and Uniform City National, Inc. (Life Uniforms), each a supplier of scrubs and uniforms for medical professionals, in connection with the $22.5 million sale of substantially all of their assets to Scrubs & Beyond, LLC effectuated through a Chapter 11 Section 363 sale.
- Represented mezzanine lender in $4.5 million secured financing to manufacturer and distributor of electronic security systems.
- Represented convenience store chain in connection with $50 million subordinated financing.
- Represented lender in connection with $30 million senior debt financing provided to workers’ compensation insurance carrier.
- Represented national bank that acted as lead agent and lender in connection with $55 million syndicated senior acquisition financing provided to manufacturer of rubber hoses.
- Represented private equity fund in connection with CDN $13 million senior and CDN $8 million subordinated acquisition financing provided to manufacturer of wooden fuel pellets that has operations in the U.S. and Canada.
- Represented private equity fund in connection with $2.5 million senior and $2.5 million equity acquisition financing provided to commercial radio station.
- Represented national bank that acted as lead agent and lender in $50 million syndicated credit transaction involving an office equipment leasing company.
- Represented wine producer in securing $5 million in debt financing.
- Represented private equity fund in connection with $12 million secured loan to a cable installation company.
- Represented fire truck manufacturer in connection with $20 million senior credit facility.
- Represented specialty truck manufacturer in connection with $28 million senior credit facility.
- Represents several mezzanine lenders on an on-going basis in connection with their investments in privately held companies with investments ranging from $3.5 million to $9 million.
- Represented lead investor in $1.5 million Series D round investment in privately held company that develops education software programs for the medical field.
- Represented lead investor in $4 million Series A round investment in privately held company that develops security software for computer networks.
- Represented lead investor in $2.9 million Series B round investment in privately held company that manufactures environmentally safe cleaning products.
- Represented lead investor in $3.5 million Series C round investment and subsequent financings in privately held company that develops on-line billing software for the utilities industry.
- Represented privately held manufacturer of billing and accounting software for the construction industry in connection with the redemption of its Series E Preferred Stock and related financings.