Bill is the chair of the corporate and securities department. He concentrates his practice in securities, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate counseling for a wide range of clients, from family-owned businesses to emerging growth businesses to public companies. In addition, Bill frequently acts as “outside general counsel” to his clients, representing them on all corporate and financial matters and coordinating other legal issues, ranging from litigation to intellectual property to regulatory matters. He regularly reviews agreements, negotiates employment matters and advises on litigation and regulatory issues.
In the area of securities, Bill represents clients in matters before the SEC, providing particular skill in Exchange Act compliance matters and all aspects of SEC registration, and has experience with Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank Act compliance and related regulatory matters. A significant part of his practice includes the representation of individuals, funds and issuers in connection with equity investments in emerging growth companies.
Bill’s merger and acquisition experience is significant, having participated in numerous purchases and sales of companies, both public and private, in transactions structured as asset sales, stock sales and mergers. These deals have ranged in size from several million dollars to the $1.6 billion merger between EB Games and GameStop, its primary competitor in the specialty retail video game industry.
In an article in GC Mid-Atlantic, Daniel Kaufman, Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer at Game Stop, described Bill as a “responsive, capable, very bright lawyer who understands what the company needs, and gives us 110 percent all the time.”
He also co-chairs the franchise & licensing, higher education and data, privacy and cybersecurity industry groups as well as a member of the retail, restaurants and hospitality industry group.
- University of Notre Dame, J.D.
- La Salle University, B.A., maxima cum laude
- Chair, La Salle University Board of Trustees
- Member, La Salle College High School Board of Trustees
- Member, Finance and Budget Committee, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
- Member, Glenside Youth Athletic Club Board of Directors
- Member, St. Luke the Evangelist Board of Directors
- Past President, La Salle University Alumni Association
- Adjunct Professor, La Salle University MBA Program “Accounting, Financial and Legal Models for Electronic Commerce”
- Member, Steering Committee, Co-Chair, Programs Committee, Impact Conference
- Member, Steering Committee, Chair, Programs Committee, MAC Mid-Atlantic Capital Conference
- Chairperson, Programs Committee, Greater Philadelphia Venture Group, Mid-Atlantic Venture Conference
Awards & Honors
Named to the “Pennsylvania Super Lawyers” list by Thomson Reuters for Corporate Law (2004-2013)
Recipient, John J. Finley Service Award, La Salle University
Member, Muscular Dystrophy Lock-Up
Member, Multiple Sclerosis Society Leadership Class
News & Events
- Press Release, “William W. Matthews, III Elected the Chair of the La Salle University Board of Trustees,” July 10, 2020
- Quoted, “SBA PPP loan applicants search for Plan B as banks prioritize existing customers,” Philadelphia Business Journal, April 8, 2020
- Author, “New Jersey Bans Cashless Stores and Restaurants,” Client Alert, March 2019
- “Regulation G and Non-GAAP Financial Measures and Rules,” February 2003
- Author, “Audit Committee Financial Expert and Code of Ethics Rules,” Technology Times, January 2003
- Author, “Sarbanes-Oxley Reforms Become Law,” Technology Times, October 2002
- Author, “Corporate Governance Recommendations in Light of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act,” October 2002
- Representing the owner of a propane and welding business in a $25 million sale of the business.
- Representing three family members in a $55 million buyout of their interests in a real estate management company.
- Representing the company and a 50% shareholder in a buyout of a sibling’s 50% interest in a printing and graphics company.
- Representing three siblings in all matters related to their ownership of a pharmaceutical manufacturer and distributor.
- Representing a retail products Company and its founders and majority owners in all corporate matters.
Restaurants and Hospitality
- Representing the owner of five restaurants located in Philadelphia, the Philadelphia suburbs, Washington D.C. and Kansas City.
- Representing investors in restaurants and related hospitality venues in the Delaware Valley.
- Representing a popular multi-location bar/restaurant in all corporate matters.
- Representing a bar/restaurant of the Philadelphia International Airport in corporate and regulatory matters.
- Representing NYSE listed retailer of video and computer games in multiple public offerings.
- Representing Angel venture fund in connection with formation, multiple closings, deployment of capital and wind-up.
- Representing high net worth individual in over 50 early stage investments ranging from $100,000 to $1 million+.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representing owner of ESOP consulting business in a sale of the business to a private equity sponsor.
- Representing retailer in numerous acquisitions and divestitures ranging from $1 million to $1 billion+.
- Representing medical billing company and CEO in sale of company.
- Representing health care consulting company in merger with competitor.
- Representing health care finance company in buyout of private equity investors.
- Representing publicly-traded REIT in investment in minority-owned business enterprise.
- Representing NYSE listed retailer of video games in all corporate matters, including securities compliance, regulatory matters and intellectual property issues.
- Representing international distributor of meat products in all legal matters.
- Representing ESOP consulting firm in all legal matters.
- Representing specialty finance company in all legal matters.
- Representing retailer of consumer products in legal matters.
- Representing information technology company in all legal matters.
- Representing retailer of pet products in all legal matters.
- Representing Philadelphia-based seminary in all legal matters.
- Drafted and implemented a Department of Justice mandated administrative compliance program for a public company with multiple contracts.
- Assisted in the defense of a public company against a Department of the Navy recommendation for suspension and debarment.
- Prosecuted a multi-million dollar claim on behalf of a public company before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Negotiated leases and other business arrangements for a publicly traded retailer for locations on U.S. military bases.
- Responded to a DCCA audit for a company providing services to the U.S. military in Germany.