We provide litigation, transactional and general business counseling services to higher education institutions across the country.
As higher education institutions face unprecedented challenges, Klehr Harrison’s multi-disciplinary team of lawyers has the skill, experience and tenacity to help these institutions navigate these challenges. Our attorneys regularly represent a broad range of academic institutions, including large public and private universities, small private colleges and universities, religiously affiliated colleges and universities, diocesan seminaries, and medical and other professional schools.
Our attorneys have also provided much-needed guidance and advice to our education clients who are broadly affected during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read, “Potential Legal Land Mines For Colleges Opening This Fall” published in Law360 from co-chair Lisa Lori)
Not only do our attorneys serve as legal counsel to higher education institutions, but several also serve as university and college trustees, including serving as chairs of universities’ boards of trustees.
- Lisa A. Lori, Chair of Marywood University Board of Trustees
- William W. Matthews, III, Chair of La Salle University Board of Trustees
- William A. Harvey, Former Trustee, Saint Joseph’s University
- Frank M. Correll, Jr., Former Trustee, Ursinus College
Our experience and capabilities include the following:
- Representation in litigation in state and federal courts in substantive matters involving, among other areas, Title IX, employment, intellectual property, commercial matters, breach of contract, invasion of privacy, misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Conducting and overseeing internal and external investigations involving, among other areas, Title VII, Title IX, program accreditation, faculty, staff and administration misconduct.
- Counseling with respect to employment issues, including compliance, policy development, and training, litigation avoidance, faculty contracts and negotiations, employment termination, FMLA, ADA, student organization activities.
- Counseling with respect to fiduciary responsibilities of board members and others.
- Representation of colleges and universities in real estate and business transactions, including universities’ acquisitions of health care facilities, sales of real property and academic and other partnerships.
- Representation of academic executives and professors in compensation matters.
- Negotiation of intellectual property licensing deals for universities.